A captain navigates a huge ship with a tiny rudder. A rider masters a powerful horse with a small bit in his mouth. In the same way, the words you and I speak direct the course of our lives (James 3). Think of it!
God created everything by His words and the whole universe operates on a word system. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, (Hebrews 1:3, 11:3).
Amazingly, God has given us the same power over our own lives and the world in which we live. What a privilege!
Learn to master your words (making sure they agree with God’s words) and you will find yourself living a more peaceful, fulfilling and successful life. Jesus said in Luke 21:33, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.”
How our words affect us and those around us:
- Our words hurt people’s feelings. We hurl them carelessly without taking thought of the consequences. We don’t recognize the powerful force for good or evil our words carry. Your words also have equal power to create a friendly, rather than hostile atmosphere.
- Our words shape our destiny. Today, you are the sum total of every word you first believed and then spoke about yourself. There’s no getting away from it: Our words make us our own best friend or worst enemy. Instead of trying to change people’s perception of you by changing your clothes or hairstyle, try changing your words.
- Our words sink ships. Stop undermining your personal relationships and career by speaking negative things about yourself. So often we knock ourselves, thinking that we’re being humble. We don’t see how this bad habit negatively impacts our destiny, the way people view us and consequently treat us.
How to live better, be liked more and succeed
- Weigh your words. Words are a gift from God, so carefully weigh them before you release them. Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit (Proverbs 18:21). Ask yourself: “Who is Lord over the words I’m about to speak: Jesus or satan?
- Don’t abuse the power of speech. Satan can’t curse you, but he does everything he can to get you to curse yourself. He uses your circumstances to convince you to speak negative words about yourself, others and your future. Instead, find out what God has to say about you and speak that.
- Listen to the Holy Spirit. Because, with your words you choose life or death, blessing or curses; be led by the Holy Spirit. Trust His warnings and promptings before you speak. Remember, loose lips can sink your ship!
Change the way you speak and you will quickly improve everything in your life. By adding just one godly confession about yourself and your destiny every day for a week, you will experience immediate improvement. However, this change won’t go unchallenged. The devil knows the power of your words. The question is: Do you?
We love to hear from you! If this blog post has been a blessing to you, please comment!